Dig Deep

“Now dig the hole twice as deep and twice as wide, fill it with fertilizer, making sure you amend the dirt around the roots of your rose bush with good soil before covering it up.”

Taking my first rose bush home from the nursery I was thrilled with the prospect of having roses bloom in my very own yard. I could not wait to snip the beautiful flowers and display their fragrant beauty for all to enjoy. What a pleasure it will be to give my beautiful roses to friends and family. The pride of my rose bush took over my senses, it was my baby and I would make it superb!

I followed the explicit instructions that were given to me, planted my new Peace Tea Rose and waited for it grow.

It was my first attempt at planting a rose bush and I failed miserably. I knew my new little beauty needed at least six hours of direct sun. Calculating the rays in my flowerbed, it seemed like the perfect new home for it to thrive, but it did not. My new friend was completely dead by fall. What did I do wrong?

“Root rot” my buddy from the nursery diagnosed. Everything was perfect except the drainage! Who knew? By all apparent evidence my rose bush should have flourished; good soil, good fertilizer, protected its dainty leaves from pests. Sadly it died never to bare its fragrant blooms.

The conditions seemed perfect but underneath, where you could not see without digging deep, was enough standing water to drown my “Peace.”

Lent is a time to dig deep; digging deep to remove the sin in our lives that causes our very grounding in Christ to rot.

When our source of life is drowning, under siege by unearthed dangers, we rot.

No matter how hard we try on the surface to make that flower bloom, when the roots are drowning, the plant will die.

Give your deepest self to the light of Christ. Let His light shine into the darkest deepest part of your being for you are His. God creates all and knows exactly how the rose bush thrives, the birds of the air soar and longs for humankind, his finest creation, to grow into his pride and joy. Let the Master Gardner keep you in His love and care, being grounded and firmly rooted in the one in whom you can trust.

Don’t give up!

After my first failed attempt as a rosarian I went on to grow as many roses as I could fit into my little garden. They bloomed and smelled sweet from Spring to Fall. I shared them with pride and enjoyed their fragrance in every room of my home. And you can be certain that at the first sign of wilt I made sure the roots were not drowning.

I had learned what to do from the master.

In Christ,

Comments

Popular Posts