Peace and Shalom

“You must go to other churches!” And go to other churches we did! This command came from the late Don Armentrout, my favorite seminary professor. There was a method to Don’s madness. If we were to become complete Episcopal priests we had to have a working familiarity of how the Gospel was presented to folks in other denominations. So, on seminary Sundays we were rarely worshiping in an Episcopal church. The experience of worshiping with other folks was eye-opening, and at times heart rendering.

Going to different denominations on Sunday was part of my childhood in a military family. Mother insisted that I be in a church on Sunday either with them or with my friends. So, I went to whatever church was closest. I went to Temple, Synagogue, Catholic Catechesis, Pentecostal, and various versions of Methodists, Baptists and Presbyterians. In reflecting on these particular experiences in childhood and seminary I have concluded that they did much to contribute to whatever little wholeness I have as a person and priest.

I have continued this habit on those Sundays when I don’t have official sacramental or liturgical duties. This past Sunday Cissy and I went to another church. The sermon as well as the whole service focused on The Peace and the Hebrew Shalom.

When we exchange the Peace with the words, “The Peace of the Lord be always with you,” what do we intend with those good wishes – absence of conflict? Yes, that is true to some degree, but it is much more than that – the words transcend earthly definitions. Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives.” (John 14:27). Paul wrote to the church in Philippi, “And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:7).

Our Jewish connection also has a word of greeting, shalom. This word is also translated as peace, but it too has a deeper meaning. Shalom wishes “wholeness.” What a great way to greet and to leave. “I wish you wholeness in yourself, in our relationship and with God.”

It seems to me that that God’s peace and the peace of Shalom are the same thing, which is the purpose of God becoming incarnate and resurrected, “…so that they may be one.” (John 17:21).

Peace and Shalom!

Comments

Popular Posts