Fixing a Failure of Formation

Last Thursday through Sunday I was honored to participate in and present at a national Episcopal Church conference by the name of Missional Voices. I was invited to be a part of a panel with the Presiding Bishop Michael Curry, Bishop Waldo of Upper South Carolina, and Heidi Kim the National Church Staff Officer for Racial Reconciliation. The purpose of the panel was to reflect on our experiences of last year’s pilgrimages to Ghana and the lessons we are seeking to apply to our ministries back home. To be honest, I was stunned by the unexpected invitation, and then grateful that EDS made it possible for me to go… but first, I had to learn about the Missional Voices movement, since I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It turns out that “Missional Voices is a network of leaders – laity, clergy, youth leaders, educators, seminarians, and creatives – across The Episcopal Church, who believe the church of the future will be more relational, more diverse, more collaborative, more hopeful, and more agile.” Once I came across that explanation, I wondered where this movement had been all my life and ministry, and I was beside myself at the opportunity to be among those whom I anticipated would be “my people!”

The gathering did not disappoint – I’m still processing all that I heard, saw, experienced, and learned – and I have no doubt I will continue to be a part of this inspiring and encouraging movement in our Church. I hope you’re interested in learning WHY I’m hooked, because I’m about to begin explaining myself AND I’m likely to be talking and writing about this often in the weeks and months to come.

 The Very Reverend Steven Carlsen, Dean of Christ Church Cathedral in Indianapolis, reminded us in his sermon at the Opening Eucharist that “The Church is not the arena, it’s the training ground; it’s not the exhibition, but the studio; it’s not the concert hall, but the rehearsal room.” It was important to begin our work together remembering that what we do INSIDE the Church only prepares us for what we are called to do IN THE WORLD.

Next, the Presiding Bishop spoke about the evils of the slave trade and called upon our consciences to recall that NO hatred can ever be blessed, because those we view and treat as less than ourselves mattered enough to Jesus that he DIED for them, so why/how would we be so foolish as to believe we can treat ANYONE with anything less than the utmost dignity and respect. Bishop Curry was clear to point out that the reconciliation work of the Episcopal Church is currently focused on historical and contemporary issues of race, but that this work is merely “the gateway into a host of ways we are all broken and separated.” Upon hearing these truths, I felt even more inspired and convinced about the importance of this hard work than I had before (and you’ve likely noticed I’ve been quite fired up about this work for a while now!) And THEN … THEN Michael Curry gave words to the nagging conviction of my heart and soul that I came home from Ghana unable to clearly articulate. “The wickedness of the slave trade and the ongoing evils of racism were and are,” he boldly proclaimed, “a failure of formation. They are what happens when Christians play games instead of being formed as disciples of Jesus Christ!” (I’ve never come so close to standing up in church and shouting, “Amen!”)

And so I feel like I have the very beginnings of a true sense of my vocation and call for this work. I myself need A LOT of formation – I need to hear more stories – I need to understand the TRUTH. And then I need to risk sharing the truth that takes a hold of me. I have barely begun this journey, but my path has been made more clear, and I’ve been blessed by new companions on the way. If any of you are interested in sharing in some of this work with me, please consider coming along to my Sunday School class (Learnings from Ghana – Room 208) for some background information, and/or reach out to me about what you may like/feel called to do. I’d be grateful to talk, read, reflect, pray, etc. with folks – and I always welcome hard questions and challenge.





Comments

Popular Posts