Friendship Feast


Last Sunday I heard an excellent sermon, preached by the Reverend Ian Lasch at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Ladue (St. Louis, MO) and as I heard it I had this Shepherd’s Fold cover in mind and heart. Among many thought-provoking points, Ian spoke about FEASTING and how desperately (my word not his) human beings, especially Christians, need it. He reminded his hearers, myself especially, that feasting is what we do to remember and celebrate our abundance, most importantly in the face of prevailing feelings or experiences of scarcity.

My fall break trip to St. Louis was indeed a FEAST, at a time when I’ve been overly mired down with a sense of looming scarcity. There are so (too) many things going on that are just plain wrong (Ian proclaimed that essential truth also) and I’ve been feeling sad, confused, angry, hurt, and more. I’m not going to shake these concerns easily or immediately - and my passion for what’s just and loving is not going to allow that to happen – but, in the midst of “sighs too deep for words,” I’ve got to remember and rejoice in what is SO GOOD! I have got to FEAST!

So it was such a gift to be with dear friends – Loren being the fastest and most authentic friend I’ve ever made; Ian being a quiet intellectual with whom I can naturally identify; and their two boys, Elias (nearly 3) and Ezra (5 months), being sweet, cuddly, and fun little love bugs! Being together with friends was a FEAST for me – an intentional time of abundance – abundance of joy, peace, love, and hope. It was a time of renewal that I desperately needed, and for which I am grateful.

I’m going to try to keep my feelings of scarcity and abundance in check – try to make sure I’m FEASTING from time to time. I hope you, dear readers, will try this too! Whatever it is that fills you with joy, that restores your hope, that reminds you of love, that allows you to know peace … FEAST ON THAT! These are scarce times, I believe and I fear, but we faithful are people who must counter the scarcity around us with all that is just and good. Whenever possible we are called to relieve the scarcity of all those around us, but (like the airline instructions to “put on your own mask before assisting others) we cannot give what we do not have and know ourselves. So, let us feast on the hope that is in us, and the love that has saved us, and the peace that passes understanding. In the face of such abundant joy, scarcity shouldn’t have a chance!

- Lisa +

Comments

Popular Posts