Journey with a Purpose



A Benedictine author I once read left an impression on me when she wrote: “The word ‘pilgrim,’ derived from the Latin peregrinum, conveys the idea of wandering over a distance, but it is not just aimless wandering. It is a journey with a purpose, and that purpose is to honor God.”

As I write this article, our 20 pilgrims (16 youth and 4 chaperones) are about to embark on their pilgrimage to walk the Camino at Santiago de Compostela in Spain, and I myself have just zipped up the suitcase I will drag along to Ghana at the end of June and into July. By the time this article is published (I’m writing on my last day in the office for about a month) the Good Shepherd Pilgrims will be home from Spain with many tales to tell, and I will be meeting 10 other pilgrims from around this country who will represent Episcopal Relief & Development and the National Association of Episcopal Schools in visiting schools, projects, and slave camps and castles in Western Africa.

One thing all 30+ of us have in common, I’m sure, is that the announcement of our various travels has been met by most people with a resounding, “What are you going to do there?” and our responses have likely not been exactly what the questioner expected to hear. Those who asked our youth about their trip to Spain were likely expecting to hear about Spanish immersion, tourist sites, cultural experiences, and good food … but instead they were told “we’re walking long distances in high temperatures and visiting historic churches, growing closer to one another and to God.” When I’m asked, there’s typically “why on earth would you choose Africa?” tone to the conversation, along with some sense of horror by those hearing about immunizations, food/water restrictions, and mosquitoes … but what I’m trying to communicate is a longing to build relationships with students and teachers whose lives I actually envy with respect to simplicity and joy, and a calling to learn about the hatred and indignity of the slave trade so that I can do all within my power to make sure people never treat one another as “less than” ever again.

According to the Benedictine definition of pilgrimage, however, my fellow pilgrims and I could simply respond to questions about our whereabouts and plans by saying, “I’m going on a journey with a purpose, and that purpose is to honor God,” and I have no doubt that this would be a true saying on any of our lips and hearts. But as soon as I attach these powerful and purposeful words to my upcoming trip, I am struck by the realization that I should be defining far more than these two exciting weeks in such a way! Is honoring God not ALWAYS my purpose – the purpose of every creature of God? Does an average day in my life and work not ALWAYS have purpose – faith-filled and holy purpose? Is not the whole of my life as a disciple a journey – a pilgrimage?

The Good Shepherd Pilgrims, as well as the ERD/NAES Pilgrims, appreciate the intentional prayers of this faithful congregation during our journeys overseas, but we also want to encourage EVERYONE to consider the pilgrimage they are on day by day. We would like to pray for ALL OF YOU, fellow pilgrims on the discipleship journey, and ask God’s blessing upon your every step. As we seek to discern the purpose of our journeys – the countless ways in which we honor God with particular intent – we invite the whole Good Shepherd community to “walk” with us. Together let us ask God for wisdom, guidance, and strength for the road, and a deep sense of our purpose in honoring the one who has called us to journey. My He bless us with clarity and hope on the Way.

Pastor Lisa +

Comments

Popular Posts