The Easter Commandment

 Alleluia, Christ is Risen! The Lord is risen Indeed! For two thousand years Christians have greeted one another with these words. They speak directly to the unique and distinguishing heart of Christian belief: God has vindicated the life and ministry of Jesus by raising him the dead. The resurrection however, is not only about Jesus, it is also about us. it addresses our deepest fear and our deepest pain.

Death is the ultimate, out of control moment for us. It is final, complete, and total. It only rarely comes as a timely blessing and more often than not robs us of precious time and days. It poses a threat to our plans, dreams, and aspirations, to our very existence. We reasonably fear it.

We also experience deep pain when those we love, die and are taken from us. We miss them, long to talk with them, and feel a void and emptiness where once communion with another existed. The separation, unsought and undesired, can be profound.

Both of my parents had died by the time I was 26 years old. I cannot now remember the sound of my mother’s voice, though I’m confident I should recognize it immediately were I to hear her say, “Robert Duncan”! I have always been comforted by the prospect of seeing and being with them again. (I have much to ask them!) Their loss and absence would be interminably distressing without this resurrection hope. Contemplation of my own end is sometimes equally overwhelming, until I realize that I will see many loved ones and friends again and then I am not so anxious.

Jesus comes forth from the tomb with promises of hope and encouragement, He gives us a new, Easter commandment: “Do not be afraid!” He has overcome the world and his sure and certain commitment to all who put their trust in him is that we too shall overcome.

“Do not be afraid!” May our resurrection hope be a sure, certain, and steadying force all of our days and may our Easter joy be inviting to all.


Comments

Popular Posts