In the ROOTS Business

 It was my honor and delight to serve as the worship coordinator for the 2018 Biennial Conference of the National Association of Episcopal Schools, held November 7-9 in Atlanta. As a “walk away and process” person, I’m still working on my countless learnings from an incredibly inspiring gathering, but one image and idea certainly stands out.

In his sermon at the Conference Eucharist, Presiding Bishop Michael Curry referenced Jeremiah 17:7-8:

“Blessed are those who trust in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. They shall be like a tree planted by water, sending out its roots by the stream. It shall not fear when heat comes, and its leaves shall stay green; in the year of drought it is not anxious, and it does not cease to bear fruit.”

And, of course, in true Michael Curry fashion, he led us all in singing the related spiritual, “I will not be - I will not be moved. Like a tree, planted by the water, I will not be moved.”

Bishop Curry wanted to reassure us - and then for us to reassure those among whom we minister - because we can be CERTAIN OF OUR ROOTS! The world WILL try to sway us like branches in the wind - We CAN be trampled like leaves on the ground - We WILL feel battered by storms. At the same time, however, what is going on above the ground will NEVER be a match for what we’ve got under the ground! Being rooted in the Good News of the Gospel and the assurance of God’s abiding love will give us the strength we need to face whatever seeks to uproot us in this life. “We will not be - we will NOT be moved!”

Because I spent two years planning a huge liturgy for 800 people, I humbly availed of my point of personal privilege and engaged the Presiding Bishop in a moment of private conversation. Following up on a recent published interview in which he called upon Christian leaders to NOT be silent in the face of injustices in our world, I admitted to Bishop Curry that while I couldn’t agree more with what he had to say, and that I was inspired by his passion and convictions, I often feel silenced in the current climate of tensions, even sometimes cautioned against preaching about love for all people (no exceptions!) and an end to dangerous trends. “Just keep talking about Jesus, Lisa,” he said with a smile. “Talk about Jesus and no one can shut you up!”

As an educator, I am in the ROOTS business. It is Go
d’s call on my life that I would “talk about Jesus,” and that I would speak out against anything that separates us from that love. I took solemn vows about loving without exception and about teaching others to do so as well. “It got Jesus himself in a lot of trouble,” said Michael Curry, “but that doesn’t mean we should shy away from it!” I am so grateful for these wise reminders, and for the prayers Bishop Curry said he would offer on my behalf, and on the behalf of disciples trying to make a difference everywhere. “Blessed (indeed!) are those who trust in the Lord!”


Comments

Popular Posts