Happy Mother’s Day

How do you say thank you to your mother for giving you life and love? 
What my sweet mama has taught me over the years is to first say thank you everyday to God the giver of all.  To be grateful for the life I have been given and know that I am loved by my Heavenly Father. It all starts with a thank you.  We show our true gratitude for life by living a life for God.
My 86 year old mother lives as full a life as any woman I know.  She is constantly cooking for family, friends and neighbors;  delicious vegetable soup on cold rainy days, roast beef dinners with warm rice and gravy and my favorite, fresh creamed corn simmered with bacon.  My mother still sings in her church choir, helps with vacation Bible School every year and takes time each week to prepare cards for birthdays and the shut-ins in her church family.  Now I will admit that we all try to keep our mother from doing too much.  She often wears herself out but any suggestion that she slow down falls on deaf ears, always!
 My mother says that she wants to finish her life well.  During her younger years my mother stayed very busy as a kindergarten teacher, and mother to six children, cleaning, cooking, all the while corralling all six of us like a shepherd tending their wayward flock.  I remember as a child my mother did it all.  We never did without because of her dedication to our family.  Although no longer raising a family and teaching school, in many ways she is still going at full steam.  Now in her later years she continues to give all that she can to help others feel loved and cared for, it is her purpose and God given desire to give love.
When I think about the many lessons my mother has taught me, the one lesson I pray I will never forget is to continue to be useful.  When we have no purpose we loose sight of living fully.  I love my mother for many reasons and mainly for this invaluable lesson. 
 Very rarely does a day go by that my mother does not spend her morning with God.  With her Bible open she sits in study and prayer.  This is how she renews her strength for the day as she is sustained in God’s will, when knees are failing and energy is low.
 To be a mother is a sacred call. 
Mothers come in many disguises.  Whether one actually gives birth or simply and yet profoundly nurtures another, being a mother is one of the most important roles a woman can fulfill for another.  
 Who has been a mother to you?  Give God thanks for their love and care and pass it on. Live a life of gratitude and love with thanksgiving to the Lord who has a purpose for each one of his children each and everyday.

Happy Mother’s Days to all the Mom’s in our lives!

Comments

Popular Posts