Prayer

“Prayer is the hope that pulls God and man together.  But it doesn’t pull God Down to us; it pulls us up to him.”  
    -William Franklin Graham

I remember the comfort of praying as a child, knowing that God listened and was concerned with my every thought.  Praying that my skinned knee would stop stinging, praying for the baby bird that fell from its nest, asking God to help me be kind to my pesky brothers.  I remember the feeling and satisfaction of a sense of being heard by God, never doubting that he loved and cared for me.  As a child, I remember talking to God every night and feeling such a closeness with him.  

I remember being upset if I forgot to pray at bedtime, I would feel as if I hurt God’s feelings somehow, as if I forgot to speak to my mother or father all day.  How sad they would be to have been left out of my thoughts and feelings and the details of my day!

I like to hold on to my childhood memories in this way. I like to remember that as a child I learned to trust that God is near, that I would never forget him, because he never forgets me, not for a second.

What a privilege God has granted us with the gift of prayer.

We are a praying community at Good Shepherd.   
Every morning, Monday through Saturday, with the exception of Wednesday and Sunday, when we offer Holy Eucharist, faithful folks offer Morning Prayer at 8:00AM in the Chapel of the Resurrection.  Everyday the needs of our church family, the community, the nation and the world are lifted up to God in Morning Prayer. All are welcome.  Jack Speese is always looking for Morning Prayer leaders and is willing to help train you in this ministry.  I am happy to answer any questions you may have and help connect you with Morning Prayer.

The Prayer Shawl Ministry lead by Carol Bennett is also an opportunity to experience the power and comfort of prayer.  Carol helps any and all with knitting and leads this wonderful group as they pray for the needs of the recipient of each prayer shawl they lovingly create.  Again, give me a call if you are interested in participating in this ministry or know someone in need of being wrapped in tangible prayer. 

Every Tuesday morning at 11:00 AM we have a Healing Service with Holy Eucharist in the church.   During the service we pray for many needs.  People are invited to come forward to pray for their own needs as well as the needs of those on their hearts.  It is a powerful service.  All are welcome.

If you have a need that you would like for your church family to pray for please let me know. Your name may be added to the Prayers of the People. We will pray for you during our worship services. 
If you would like for your prayer request to be kept in confidence, you may be added to the Intercessors Prayer List.  Our Intercessors will pray for you and yours daily understanding that your privacy is important.

 It is impossible to measure what a privilege prayer is, how prayer can change everything.  And it is a blessing to pray for another as our prayer leaders and intercessors can tell you.  “Prayer pulls us back to God.” 

Easter is the season of rejoicing, for all that God said he would do, he has accomplished!  God has restored His creation to Himself through the life, death and resurrection of His son, Jesus the Risen Christ. So why in the world would we ever doubt that God is concerned with every detail of our lives? God is faithful and continually restores us to Himself if we will simply come to Him in prayer. For He longs to wipe away every tear and heal every skinned knee.  
God never forgets His children, not for a second.

Alleluia!  Alleluia!


Lynn+

Comments

Popular Posts